How do I change back to my maiden name before divorce?

If you want to legally change back to your maiden name before your divorce is finalised, you will need a Deed Poll document to show the change from your married name to your maiden name. The Deed Poll can also state a change of title, e.g. from Mrs to Miss or Ms.

If you are happy to wait until after your divorce is finalised you may not need a Deed Poll, as your decree absolute can generally be used as evidence of your right to use your maiden name.

However, because you will need to show evidence of your change of name to all of the UK organisations that you deal with, e.g. passport, driving licence, finance and insurance, many women prefer to use a Deed Poll document, even if they have their decree absolute. This is because they prefer not to send a copy of their decree absolute out to all of these organisations.

Click here to apply for your change of name by Deed Poll.

Or if you have any questions please call us on 01628 476657 Monday to Friday between 9am & 5pm, and we will be pleased to talk you through your options.

See also...



All FAQ categories

How to change your name by Deed Poll
General Deed Poll information and options
Changing a child's name
About the Deed Poll Kit
Certified copies, archiving and additional services
Changing your name on important documents
Marriage or civil partnership name change options
Divorce or separation name change options
All Deed Poll FAQs s

New Name Kit
How the New Name Kit works
Who to notify when you change your name, and how
New Name Kit purchase, activation and renewal
All New Name Kit FAQs

The Name Change Company
About the Name Change Company

Purchasing our products
Contacting us
Testimonials nice things people say about us
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
All Name Change Company FAQs

Your order pad is empty.
If you have visited before and have saved orders that you are now ready to purchase, please click here to login.
Frequently asked questions

Refund policy
Full product and price list
Continue shopping

For your peace of mind, we use Geotrust to securely encrypt your personal information. Geotrust is a leading name in the security of online transactions, identities and applications.