How do I change the name in my UK passport?
If you are changing your name either by Deed Poll, marriage, divorce or civil partnership, you will need to supply evidence of the change of name to the Identity and Passport Service in order to obtain a UK passport that shows your new name.
As a major issuer of UK name change documents, Deed Polls supplied by us are guaranteed to be accepted as evidence of your change of name by all UK organisations and government departments including the Identity and Passport Service, so if you wish to apply for a change of name by Deed Poll please click here. Apply now.
After you receive your Deed Poll from us you will need to send either the original or a certified copy of it, to the Identity and Passport Service as proof of your change of name, along with a passport application / amendment form. This passport form can be obtained from most Post Offices or you can complete the form on line. (See link below)
If you are changing the name of a child aged 15 or under, you must provide the Identity and Passport Service with the child’s Deed Poll or a certified copy of it, plus the written consent of all those with parental responsibility for the child to show that they have no objection to the change of name. You will find example letters of consent within our Frequently Asked Questions under the heading of ‘changing a child’s name’.
If you are changing your name though marriage, divorce, or civil partnership you will need to send the Identity and Passport Service the relevant documentary evidence of the change of name i.e. your marriage certificate, decree absolute or civil partnership certificate, plus a completed passport amendment form. (See below)
Whatever the reason for your change of name, in addition to your name change document and passport amendment form you will need to provide the following to the Identity and Passport Service, but please check their website for any updates:
* Two passport photos
* Evidence of any previous name changes
* Current or last passport
* Payment of fee
To complete the online UK passport amendment form see www.ukpa.gov.uk
To apply for your change of name by Deed Poll please click here
Click here to get started.
- Why do people change their name by Deed Poll?
- Is a Statutory Declaration the same as a Deed Poll?
- Will my change of name be centrally registered somewhere?
- Can a person with a criminal record change their name by Deed Poll?
- Can I use my maiden name as a middle name after I am married?
- I am getting married abroad and have been told that my Deed Poll must be legalised. What is legalising and what do I need to do?
- I am not a British citizen but I live in the UK. Can I use a Deed Poll to change my name?
- Can I use photocopies of my Deed Poll to have my personal records amended, rather than sending out the original?
- What forms of payment does The Name Change Company accept?
- How do I contact The Name Change Company?
- How do I change the name in my UK passport?
- How many organisations will I need to tell about my new name?
- Can I just phone or email people and tell them my name has changed?
All FAQ categories
How to change your name by Deed Poll
General Deed Poll information and options
Changing a child's name
About the Deed Poll Kit
Certified copies, archiving and additional services
Changing your name on important documents
Marriage or civil partnership name change options
Divorce or separation name change options
All Deed Poll FAQs s
How the New Name Kit works
Who to notify when you change your name, and how
New Name Kit purchase, activation and renewal
All New Name Kit FAQs
About the Name Change Company
Testimonials – nice things people say about us
All Name Change Company FAQs